Careers at Serlby Park
Meet the Team
Careers Leader: Mr Andy Hofheinz (Assistant Principal)
Careers Adviser: Rebecca Darby
The CEIAG – (Careers Education Information Advice Guidance) provision in a Delta Academy has been designed to positively support you to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary for lifelong success in a diverse and changing world of work. Our Careers Programme is personalised to the academy in conjunction with our partners at progress-careers.co.uk.
The planned programmes support students and ensure they receive the relevant careers education, information, advice and guidance that is suitable for their age and ability by implementation of the 8 Gatsby Career Benchmarks, written by Sir John Holman, a former Headteacher and founder of the National STEM Learning Centre.
We aim to ensure that our CEAIG programme:
• Empowers young people to plan and manage their own futures
• Responds to the needs of each learner
• Provides comprehensive information and advice
• Raises aspirations
• Actively promotes equality of opportunity and challenges stereotypes
• Helps young people to progress
Each pupil receives at least one face-to-face meeting with a careers adviser from our partners at CareersInc. This process starts in year 10 and continues into year 11. Students highlighted at risk of becoming NEET or those who are disadvantaged will receive additional sessions to help ensure their pathway to post-16 education is suitable and well considered. Group sessions are run for students requiring additional guidance about pathways through university or apprenticeships.
Careers Education is provided though:
- Subject Lessons – Information and discussions with a subject specific focus to help you make decisions about careers based on subject knowledge and transferable skills.
- Tutorials, Assemblies & EPC Lessons – Discussions and resources about the local market information, growth job sectors and Step Up Days – Events such as employability days
- Qualified 1-2-1 Guidance – Beginning in Y10 students have access to a qualified and impartial careers advisor from Progress Careers. This advisor who will provide confidential and impartial advice to students on the information they have received or to help guide students to make fully informed decisions. Students can request as many appointments as they need to support them to make choices about their futures.
- HeppSY– From Y9-11 at 3 points throughout the year students engage with HEPPSY to complete workshops looking at topics like ‘Making the Most of My Interests’, ‘Me and My Degree’ and ‘What Next After Y11?’ so they understand what A Level, T Level, degrees and apprenticeships are and how they are funded so they understand make an informed decision about which option would suit them best.
- Careers Cafes & Careers Fairs – Employers, Colleges and Universities will visit the school on a regular basis to talk to you about their industry and how to train and qualify for roles in that sector.
- Parents Evenings – Access to Progress Careers advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, drop-in sessions, enrichment activities, parents and option evenings and on results days.
- Apprenticeships – We have links with Bassetlaw County Council and DWP as well as Progress Careers to support students to find work or an apprenticeship, including preparing students for interviews by holding mock interviews.
- Results Service – a team of advisers will be able to talk through you needs on results day to help you confirm your intended destination.
- Technology – Careers information and updates will also be made available in form time bulletins, on notice boards and on the website. You can also visit our Progress Careers microsite here https://progress-education.org.uk/delta-serlby/
The Gatsby Benchmarks
Sir John Holman wrote the Good Career Guidance Report after carrying out extensive research.
The fast-changing world of work puts an ever-greater demand on all of us to support students in making a successful transition from education to employment, helping them to identify and choose career opportunities that are right for them.
The government’s new careers strategy set out a plan for building a high-quality careers system that will help young people to achieve. The Gatsby Benchmarks are a key measure of the effectiveness of career guidance and provision – Delta Academies Trust is committed to achieving all eight benchmarks:
Information, Advice & Guidance at Serlby Park is provided in the following ways:
For an overview of how we and our CEIAG partners embed the 8 benchmarks into our Careers Programme, please see the attached documents below.
Serlby Park Academy is committed to working with employers to provide opportunities and experiences that will enhance our CEIAG programme.
If employers or training providers would like to work with our students at Serlby Park Academy please contact our Careers Leader, Mr Andy Hofheinz either via email on HofheinzA@serlbyparkacademy.org.uk or call the Academy reception on 01302742535.
For any staff wishing to gain a FREE level 2 qualification in Careers Education & Guidance, please visit the below link.
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors – This website will allow you to search for labour market information in relation to subjects and will also be useful in looking at what subjects and qualifications will get you into specific work sectors.